Whether future predictions or daily guidance, Vedic Astrology is known to be trusted around the world. While many are inclined towards Vedic astrology some seek help from western astrology for all their predictions. Astrology is based on observing and interpreting the sun, the moon, the planets and fixed stars for forecasting earthly and human events. It is believed that understanding the effect of the stars and planets can help predict as well as affect the destinies of people.
What is Vedic Astrology?
Vedic Astrology is also called Hindu Astrology. It constitutes myths of ancient Indian culture along with rich spiritual traditions. It is also related to Ayurveda and Yoga and offers a deeper understanding of our spiritual, emotional, physical and monetary experiences.
In ancient times, important dates for performing rituals and sacrifices were determined using Vedic astrology. Vedic astrology believes that our lives are strongly influenced by the planets and stars. It is aimed at providing guidance to people who are confused or feel lost during their lives. People also use astrology to understand major events in life like moving into a new home, marriage or a business venture. Ancient rulers also consulted astrology to help them run their kingdoms successfully.
What is Western Astrology?
Western astrology is based on the horoscopic construction of a particular moment, for instance, the exact time of birth of a person which is believed to be influenced by several cosmic bodies. It only considers an individual’s date of birth.
Western astrology is based on Ptolemy’s Tetrabiblos which was a continuation of Hellenistic and Babylonian traditions. The tropical zodiac beginning with the sign of Aries is used by most western astrologers. It consists of the 12 signs of the zodiac which are representative of 12 basic personality traits. They are divided into four elements: fire, earth, air and water.
Which Factors Differentiate Vedic Astrology from Western Astrology?
● Vedic astrology has its origin thousands of years ago and has written documents in the Vedas. Whereas Western astrology is not very ancient.
● Vedic astrology was brought into practice by ancient sages in India whereas western astrology can be traced to ancient Greece and was also an inclination to the Egyptian civilisations.
● Vedic astrology is based on a fixed zodiac system and is also known as Sidereal Zodiac whereas western astrology is based on a movable zodiac and is also known as Tropical Zodiac.
● The time taken by the earth to revolve around the sun is a calculation technique used by Vedic astrology whereas western astrology is based on the orientation of the earth to the sun.
● Vedic Astrology consists of 9 planets which are Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn And Rahu-Ketu, the two nodes of the moon. It also makes use of Nakshatra which are 27 lunar constellations and each one covers a span of 13 degrees and 20 minutes.
● On the other hand, western astrology also includes planets Uranus, Neptune and Pluto which are not a part of Vedic Astrology. Western astrology also doesn’t take Nakshatra and constellations into account.
● The method used by Vedic astrology to time the Planetary system for analysing future events is called Vimshottari Dasha System.
● Western astrology studies the planet based on their movements and advances and doesn’t use the Dasha System.
Solar and Lunar System
● The Vedic system covers all areas of life and is an astrology system based on the moon.
● Western astrology emphasises more on the character, personality and psychology of a person and is based on the placement and movement of the sun.
Vedic astrology vs. western astrology: Which is More Accurate?
Vedic astrology is very accurate and effective and gives deeper insight. It lays a greater emphasis on accurate principles of astronomy. Vedic astrology is based on the moon sign which changes its position in 2.25 days and so predictions based on reflecting our circumstances and moods and their frequent changes.
Our temperament, emotions and mind are reflected by the moon and so interpreting its placement gives more relevant predictions. On the other hand, western astrology is based on the sun which changes its position monthly. While comparing Vedic vs Western Astrology, it can be easily said that the predictions made by Vedic Astrology are more accurate as compared to western astrology. Vedic astrology is based on a fixed zodiac system and accurate astronomy principles covering all the areas of life.
Are the houses similar in Vedic and western astrology?
Both Vedic and Western astrology has 12 houses. However, the use of houses is not the same. While Western Astrology incorporates one of the many house systems that further places the degree of the ascendant with either equally- or unequally-sized houses as the beginning of the first house, Vedic astrologers, on the other hand, use Whole Sign Houses in this case the ascendant can fall anywhere in the first house with each house comprising one sign only. Bhava/Shri Pati houses are also used where the Ascendant can fall anywhere in the First House, and each house comprises all of one sign.
It comes with a history of thousands of years and also has documentation to support it. Thus, it is safe to say that Vedic Astrology has more accuracy and can be relied upon to understand one’s future or to start something new.
Want to know how Vedic Astrology can help you? Get in touch with us today to get your personalised Vedic astrology reading done.